Bulgaria is one of the oldest countries of Europe, which was established in the year 681! As a charming country situated in the Balkan Peninsula, it attracts both tourists and students with its warm sandy beaches, ski resorts, historical sites and striking mountains. Bulgarian universities are renowned for their excellent quality of education that they provide and domains such as medicine and other science related courses have earned some serious appreciation from around the world. Students carrying a dream of a medicine course can opt for Bulgaria without giving a second thought as not just the education quality is remarkable, but the entrance requirements are also less rigid with tuition fees and living costs relatively reasonable than other countries. The Medical university of Pleven, Medical university of Varna, Medical university of Sofia, Medical university of Plovdiv are some of the most prominent medical schools in Bulgaria that are popular among international students. The education system in Bulgaria is monitored and controlled by the state through the Ministry of Education and Science to ensure quality and excellence. In the year 2016 over 100 students from the UK were admitted to the Medical University of Pleven. Students from India, Spain, Nigeria and India also opted to study medicine in Bulgaria. The urge to study in Bulgaria among the international students is increasing not just because of the education quality,but the warm and social atmosphere which makes the students easily fit into the social and cultural atmosphere of Bulgaria and the students complete their studies enjoying all the fun, excitement and creativity which linger in them even after leaving Bulgaria.
Why study Medicine in Bulgaria?
• Low tuition fees compared to other countries
• Easy to meet entry criteria
• An opportunity to undertake a medical degree recognized all over Europe and other countries.
• Learn valuable skills and acquire hands on clinical experience
• Medium of instruction is English
• An opportunity to enhance your career development
• State-of –the art medical laboratories and other facilities
• Highly qualified and expert teachers who are passionately engaged with their profession
• Low living expenditure
• Supportive and welcoming environment
Overseas nationals are welcomed to the Bulgarian Medical Universities in accordance with rules on Higher Education and order on the state needs in democratic Bulgaria for permission of Bulgarian and overseas students.
Medical Universities (Bulgarian) proffer coaching to the students those who have passed secondary education in 14 medical programs in Bulgarian dialect and also carry out tuition in English dialect-in Medicine and Dental Medicine.
Natives of the countries which do not belong to EU and EEA are let in only after getting sanction on the surrendered documents (meeting the desirable criteria for admission) from the Ministry of Education and Science, Bulgaria.
Candidates who desire to take admission for the English Programmes without a foundation course on language are directed to sit for examination on English for Academic Medical Studies at the University or to surrender (if they possess) any of the below credentials ( on the essential level/marks) to confirm the proficiency in English dialect.
|Recognised language proficiency examination and certificates||Necessary marks/stage|
|ESOL tests of Cambridge||FCE stage – Pre-Advanced First credential in English, or above|
|ECL||Stage B2, or above|
|IELTS||Band 6 – competent user, or above|
|English General Pearson Exam||Stage 3, or above telc – language exams or The European|
|TELC||Language Certificates, or telc English B2, or above|
|TOEFL IBT (online test)||Marks from 61 and higher|
|TOEFL PBT (written test)||Marks from 543 and higher; mark of 4.0 (range 1-6) in paper-based test|
|Trinity ISE (Integrated Skills in English) exams||ISE II stage, or above|
1. Duly filled application form.
2. A copy of secondary education completion documents (school leaving or diploma certificate).
3. A copy of the official manuscript of all the secondary education subjects studied (high school) as well as the scores acquired for those subjects in the final exams.
It is mandatory for the applicants (Indian citizens) that the average scores in Biology and Chemistry is not less than 70% in the Diploma or secondary education out of the maximum possible score system of the respective country.
4. A testimony published by an authorised body (applicant’s high school) authorising the legitimacy (right) of the applicant to pursue his/her studies in higher institutions and universities in the country where the aspirant’s secondary education was completed.
5. An authentic medical health certificate, issued within a month prior to the application date, declaring that the applicant is physically and mentally fit and is eligible for the training course at the Medical University of Varna.
6. An announcement by the aspirant’s parent(s) about financial backing during his/her education in the Republic of Bulgaria at the Medical University of Varna, authorised by a Notary Public and consorted by its official translation into Bulgarian.
7. A duplicate of applicant’s international passport mainly the pages containing the photo and other detailed data.
8. Recently taken 5 passport size photographs .
Once the candidate’s application reaches the Admission Committee and is approved (for Indian citizens, the documents are submitted to the Bulgarian Ministry of Education for approval). After deciding about the application of the candidate, either a certificate of the legitimacy of the candidate to study (study visa-type D for entrance) is issued or a denial is collected. The delivery of the documents may take up to a month.
Once the certificate is received by the University, issued by the Ministry of Education and Science, the candidate will be then intimated (via phone, e-mail or official letter) to come and collect the certificate personally or by an official representative of the applicant. Once the certificate is received, the applicant is required to apply for a student visa-type D at the Bulgarian Embassy in his/her country.